ITS 630 – Residency Project
Circuit City was an American consumer electronics company founded by Samuel Wurtzel
in 1949. By 1990s, Circuit City became the second largest consumer electronics store in the
United States with annual sales of $12 billion. On March 8 2009, Circuit City shutdown all its
On January 8th at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Circuit City CEO
announced a comeback and relaunch of Circuit City into “a dynamic, a social-focused e-
commerce site” and a new business strategy for its retail stores12.
In this case study, assume that Circuit City hired you as the new chief information officer (CIO)
to help relaunch the company into a global e-commerce multinational company. Create a
PowerPoint presentation containing the IT strategic plan that will address Circuit City e-
The following information should be covered in the presentation.
1. History of Circuit City
2. What were the issues and challenges that caused the collapse of Circuit City in 2009?
3. What are the issues and challenges with Circuit City 2018 latest e-commerce initiative?
1 http://circuitcitycorporation.com/circuit-city-to-announce-official-company-relaunch-at-the-2018-consumer- electronics-show-on-january-8th/ 2 http://fortune.com/2018/01/09/circuit-city-relaunch-website/
4. Discuss the major competitors in global e-commerce.
5. How would IT deliver value to the business?
6. Proposed the IT infrastructure required to support global e-commerce
7. Proposed the IT budget for the e-commerce initiative
8. Discuss the IT based risks associated with global e-commerce
9. Discuss how IT can leverage innovative technologies such as social media, big data and
business intelligence to provide value to the business
10. Discuss the future or emerging technologies that would be leveraged to give Circuit City
a competitive advantage.